Thursday, June 27, 2013

"GIMME A DO-OVER"- PART IX: 1973 #480 JUAN MARICHAL

Ugh.
Ok, I know I'm getting a bit repetitive with the 1973 set, but come on! Just look at this image.
This is Juan Marichal, one of the greatest pitchers of the a generation with one of the most photographic pitching wind-ups in history, and THIS is what they used?!
First off you have the batter dominating the foreground of the image, and to top it off his bat partially obscures Marichal's face. And let's not even get into the legs that are coming out of nowhere under the batter.
Bad bad bad.
As a kid I was mesmerized by the photos of Marichal winding up for a pitch. I used to wonder why I never saw modern day pitchers winding up like him or Warren Spahn. Classic baseball right there.
Anyway, I went ahead a re-did this card, using an image worthy of the Marichal legend, high-kick and all.
Topps issued card.

My re-designed version.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.