Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!"- PART III

Today we look at a unique situation where one player was royally shafted by TOPPS on two occasions with terrible photos for his baseball card: Tommy Agee in 1971 and 1973.
Take a look at the cards here:

Quick! Pick out Agee here!

A little easier here, but come on! Really Topps?
Wow. I was always struck by the odd cropping on a lot of Topps early-70's horizontal cards. On BOTH of these, they easily could have just made the card a portrait design, which would have allowed them to crop, and FOCUS more on the player that was supposed to be portrayed.
Especially the 1973 card: why the need to also include the two other Astros, as well as the umpire?
It would have been such an easy fix I was tempted to make it here to illustrate the point. But for this series I already said I'll refrain from a "do-over". I'll keep those for the star cards.
Anyway, as I stated in an earlier post: the 1973, and to a lesser extent the 1971 set, were rife with terrible photography, and I'd really love to know what was up with Topps' decision making.
I'm sure there's a reason why they stunk it up with the photo-quality. At least I'd like to THINK so.
Anyone out there have an answer? I'd love to hear it.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.