Sunday, June 2, 2013

"GIMME A DO-OVER"- PART II: 1972 ROBERTO CLEMENTE

Now, this card is not necessarily an ugly card, but I was never a fan of the image Topps used for their 1972 #309 Roberto Clemente issue.


I mean, this was one of the fiery players of the era, full of action and speed, yet Topps decides to go with an image of Clemente looking down while flipping a baseball in the air.
It's not even a nice "player pose" picture. It's so stale and "blah", and I've always wanted to redesign the card with a better image, something more appropriate for the player that he was.
So here's my attempt at improving an otherwise boring issue for this Hall of Famer.


At least there's a little bit of action going on here. And I have always loved any cards that have clear shots of the crowd in the background, giving us a glimpse into the past beyond just the "baseball player".

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.