Sunday, June 2, 2013

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!"- PART II

Sandlot softball game? High School game? Perhaps even a Division III College game?
Nope, believe it or not this is a photo used for a Major League Baseball card by Topps!
I warned you all that the 1973 Topps set would be heavily represented in the "What Were They Thinking?" series, and here is another gem from that set: #627 Luis Alvarado.
Where on earth do we even begin with this card? The photo is atrocious. You can't even tell at a glance WHO the card is trying to represent since the angle of the shot makes it look like the player about to catch the thrown ball is actually the first baseman yet the player supposed to be shown is called out as a shortstop. Funny enough, Alvarado is listed on all rosters I can find of the '73 White Sox as the second baseman. Secondly, what the heck is it with the cars parked on the other side of the chain link fence?! What kind of (what I assume to be) Spring training park is this?
On a final note, I have scoured as many different White Sox roster lists I can find, and I cannot find out who the player (#38) with his back to the camera is. I was guessing Jorge Orta, but it's just that: a wild guess. Any help would be awesome!
Is that a red Pontiac Le Mans parked out there?!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.