Thursday, April 4, 2019

NO-HITTERS SPECIAL SUB-SET: NOLAN RYAN. SEPTEMBER 28TH, 1974

The next no-hitter through the 1970’s profiled on the blog is the third such gem spun by the legend himself, Nolan Ryan, who reeled off another masterpiece, this time against the Minnesota Twins on September 28th, 1974:


“I knew this would probably be my last start of the season,” remarked California Angels speedballer Nolan Ryan. “I said to [catcher] Tom Egan , ‘I think I’ll let it all hang out. What do I have to lose?’”
Ha!
Having already thrown two no-hitters in 1973, Ryan came back and added to what would become one of the legendary careers in Major League baseball by striking out 15 batters (while also walking eight), keeping the Twins hitless for the third no-no in two seasons.
Just incredible.
And yet, little did any of us realize that the man would not only throw another FOUR no-hitters before he was done, but that the seventh and final no-hitter of his astonishing career would be SEVENTEEN years after this one, in 1991.
I mean, where do you even begin to explain to someone not familiar with baseball just how extraordinary this is?!
“The Ryan Express” is not of this earth!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.