Friday, December 19, 2014

TRADED: 1975 KEN SINGLETON

Here's a colorful card creation of mine, a 1975 Topps card "updated" to show Ken Singleton as a member of the Baltimore Oriole after being traded to the "Birds" in December of 1974.
Take a look:


Sweet looking if I may say so!
After putting in five solid years with the New York Mets and Expos between 1970 and 1974, Singleton really stepped into his own once he put on the Oriole orange.
He would played the rest of his career there until he retired after the 1984 season.
It's easy to forget that he finished in the top-10 in M.V.P. voting four times during his career, even finishing second overall to Don Baylor in 1979 when he slammed 35 homers and drove in 111 runs.
By the time he wrapped up his 15-year career, he was named to three all-star teams, collected over 2000 hits, and hit 246 homers with 1065 runs batted in and a nifty .282 lifetime average.
Nowadays he can be seen on T.V. as one of the New York Yankee announcers, and he just seems like the nicest guy there is. 
Singleton is aces in my book!

4 comments:

  1. Sharp looking card. Always had a love-hate relationship with this set. This was the year Topps raised the price of a pack. So as an 11 year old with no income I boycotted for awhile lol. Plus I didn't like the random color schemes that didn't go with the team colors or that it was kind of a modern version of the 72 set. But with time I've come to appreciate that set a lot. Great players at the end of their careers and a slew of great rookie cards. And the Singleton card is a perfect combination of color and action shot. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I also had such a hard time wrapping my head around non-coordinated cards of players on the same team! It just never made sense to me, especially in those days when we played "colors" on the stoop! However I must admit to this day that '75 set is one of my favorites! Go figure...

      Delete
  2. For some reason most of the Reds stars seemed to be yellow and red which worked really well. But the green ones or brown ones still make me scratch my head but it is a really good set overall. Each set had their own personality as does this one. Loved the MVP subset too. Neat way to get older cards of some great players. It also helped learn some of Topps' history since most of us had never seen anything made before the late 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card. It "belongs" to the set and if I didn't know better I would argue this card is part of the set. Like Tony ( who posted the fist comment) I too was 11 and boycotted the set. After all, the cards were much smaller than prior years and they cost five cents more ($0.10 to $0.15!!!) than the prior years. I felt I was being shorted but it was my first experience with inflation Fortunately, I too quickly grew to like the set and the color scheme and I'm now short two cards from completing the mini set.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.