Friday, December 5, 2014

NICKNAMES OF THE '70'S #15: "KILLER" HARMON KILLEBREW

Here's a "Nickname" card for one of my all-time favorite players, Twins slugger Harmon Killebrew.
Check it out:


I chose a 1970 format since he was coming off of his M.V.P. season of 1969, and had another monster year in 1970, slamming 40+ home runs for the eighth and final time in his illustrious 22-year career!
I don't know why, but I was always in awe of this guy even though he retired right before I became a baseball "junkie", so I never got to see him in action.
What needs to be said here about the man who truly was a "Killer" at the plate?
573 lifetime home runs, six-time American League home run champ, 100+ runs batted in nine times, 11-time All-Star, and Hall of Fame induction in 1984.
As far as I remember it, he's still the only player to slam 40+ homers in a season in three different decades (50's, 60's and 70's).
Oddly enough, Reggie Jackson slammed 40+ in 1969 and 1980, but never did it in the '70's…Go figure…

2 comments:

  1. Might be your best one yet. Love killebrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that your picture shows the mlb logo on his sleeve that was supposedly (or not) him.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.