And today I want to focus on the 1971 season and the FOURTEEN pitchers who posted 20 or more wins that year.
See how many you can get before I post the answers up tomorrow, as usual.
2. While leading the Majors in wins that year, he also posted the most strikeouts, with 308. Who was it?
3. He was the only National League pitcher to win 20 games with an E.R.A. over 3.00. Who was it?
4. Who threw the most shutouts among all 20-win pitchers that year?
5. He posted the lowest E.R.A. among 20 game winners that year. Who was it?
***SPOILER ALERT! ANSWERS BELOW:
1. Dave McNally, Orioles. He had only five losses against 21 wins.
2. Mickey Lolich, Tigers. He went 25-14 that year as well.
3. Steve Carlton, Cardinals. He went 20-9 with a 3.56 E.R.A..
4. Vida Blue, A's. He had eight shutouts that season.
5. Tom Seaver, Mets. A sparkling 1.76.