Sunday, June 21, 2020

AIRBRUSHING THROUGH THE 1970'S- 1978 DOUG RADER

Just about two years ago I posted a profile on the 1978 Doug Rader card for its airbrushing job, showing him with the Toronto Blue Jays, with whom he finished up his career with.
Well since then I’ve found the actual airbrushed photo-original, so I wanted to post this here. Take a look:



What’s interesting is that Rader played in 96 games with the Blue Jays in 1977, so why Topps didn’t have a shot of him to use in their 1978 set is beyond me.
I guess back then if it wasn’t shot in Sprint Training, it was too late?
Funny enough little did Topps know that Rader’s playing days were already behind him when this card would come out, finishing up a very nice 11-year career with 96 games in Toronto’s inaugural 1977 season.
Rader’s first nine years in the Big Leagues were spent with the Houston Astros, where he took home five straight Gold Gloves between 1970 and 1974 while showing some “pop” with his bat, topping 20 homers three times while driving in 80+ four times, with a high of 90 in 1972.
I was surprised to see he never made an All-Star team. I’m not saying the guy deserved to be a starter or anything, but I’d figured he made one or two as a back-up or replacement along the way.
After his playing career was over he went in to coaching, then managing, putting in six years leading the Texas Rangers and California Angels, the latter of which I have NO recollection, even though he had the Angels win 91 games in 1989, finishing third in a strong American League West division.



FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.