Saturday, December 31, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE! LET¹S LOOK FORWARD TO 2017!


All the very best for the New Years to everyone, and I thank you all for joining me everyday to relive those awesome baseball days during the 1970’s!
I figured today would be a great time to let you all know a little of what I have planned for 2017. Some cool stuff that I hope you all enjoy!
First up, a CHUNK of this year will be taken up by what I will be calling “Not Quite Missing In Action”, which will be “missing” cards of players who made very brief appearances in the Major Leagues, some of whom literally played a SINGLE GAME at the MLB level.
I already have a couple of hundred players lined up, and heck, I figure if you made it all the way up to the “big show”, why not have a card to commemorate it?!
Also on tap for the new year will be a thread for a 1978 sub-set (in the manager-style layout) of “Future Star” cards, with a snapshot of a star player before they made the pros, with a “current” shot on the right. Have a BUNCH of stars with awesome pics of them as amateurs so that will be fun to do!
I also wanted to tackle the 1977 Mariners and Blue Jays cards from the Topps set and recreate them with actual photos of the players in the correct uniforms instead of the airbrushed jobs we saw when opening packs 40 years earlier.
I do realize that the OPC set took care of this in a sense, but I’ve found so many good photos of the players from that year I figured there’s never too much out there, am I right?
A REALLY cool sub-set I want to create is a 1975 “In-Action” set since so many of the stars did not have action photos on their cards.
So as Topps did in 1972, many of the players will have an “In-Action” card in addition to their regular card in the 1975 set.
Among some of the other smaller ideas I have is to periodically drop in “special” cards like they used to do in the 1960’s, with stars paired up in random photos.
I loved that they had those in the 50’s/60’s and wished Topps carried that into the 70’s.
Anyway, it’ll definitely be a packed year for the blog,  so I hope you all continue to check in as I keep feeding one of my obsessions day in and day out.
See you tomorrow as we start it all up again, keeping that 1970’s baseball flame alive!

Now go and get ready for that ball to drop tonight!
All the best to all of you and yours this coming new year!
Gio

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.