Sunday, October 23, 2016

NOT REALLY MISSING IN ACTION- A PREVIEW OF 2017

Today I am giving a little teaser as to my focus in 2017 for the blog: creating cards for as many players that appeared in a Major League game regardless of how much they played.
So today’s subject is the Minnesota Twins Bucky Guth, who got to taste what it was like to be a Major League player with three scant games in 1972, playing one of those games in the field while collecting three at-bats without a hit:


All told Guth went 0-3 with a run scored in his Major League career as a late-season call-up, never to make it back to the “Bigs” again, finishing his pro-career with one more year in the minors in 1973.
As I find more and more of these great photos of players who barely got to see action during the 1970’s, it makes it a MUST that I try to create as many cards documenting the decade as I can.
Heck, if the supplies are there, why not?!
So for next year, besides the other special cards and sub-sets I try to come up with, a BIG focus will be the “Not Really Missing in Action” sub-set, as I have already collected almost a couple of hundred images to use.
Hope you all like the topic as much as I will!

11 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I bet the photos are tough to find though - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this idea! I grew up as an Orioles fan and remember guys like Dave Criscione, Willie Royster, Tony Chevez and countless others who came up for a cup of coffee and were never heard from again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea. Kim Andrews 2 games 2 ab's for 75 Redsox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to the 1976 Topps card of light-hitting Twins utility player Tom Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry! Already did it! Click on the "Ton Kelly" label on the right (down below).

      Delete
  5. In addition to Kim Andrew, Rick Jones, Steve Barr, Jack Backer, Joe Azcue, Lance Clemons, Dave Coleman, Vic Correll, Mike Derrick, Carmen Fanzone, Bob Gallagher, Chuck Goggin, Chuck Hartenstein, Ramon Hernandez, Buddy Hunter, Cal Koonce, Andy Kosco, Rick Kreuger, Henry (John) LaRose, Stan Papi all as Red Sox. As a designer myself, I could help you build the backs and you could sell team books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I took it to THAT level my wife would leave me! Ha! I could do this until the end of time!!! Love it...

      Delete
  6. The first one for a Phillies fan that comes to mind is Dave Downs (brother of Kelly) from 1972. In four September starts, he went 1-1 with a 2.74 ERA with one complete game shutout. Unfortunately, he hurt his arm and never made it back to the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.