Sunday, February 8, 2015

MISSING IN ACTION-"IN ACTION" #25: 1972 BROOKS ROBINSON

Here's a nice "missing" In Action 1972 card for Brooks Robinson, the "Human Vacuum Cleaner":


Great shot of the Orange Baltimore jersey of the era!
Robinson was a vacuum cleaner indeed, on his way to 16 Gold Gloves for his work at third base.
By this point he was a year removed from the show he put on in the 1970 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds, helping the Birds win the championship after a heartbreaking loss to the New York Mets in 1969.
By the time he hung up the cleats in 1977 he racked up an M.V.P. Award, the Gold Glove hardware, two championships, FIFTEEN all-star nods, and the heart of Baltimore fans.
As far as his stats go, they were pretty spectacular, especially when you consider he played the bulk of his career during an offensive "dead" era: 1232 runs scored, 2848 hits, 482 doubles, 268 home runs, 1357 runs batted in with a .267 batting average.
23 Major League seasons, all with the same team. Awesome…

6 comments:

  1. What a Great Baseball Player and Even a Greater Man. Great Autograph Too. Love You Brooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on this one! While I am not a big fan of those orange tops it's kind of neat to see Brooks wearing one on a card.

    I'll look for this one on eBay! ((huge wink))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Better yet, I have my industrial printing press printing them up right now out in my shed! Limited edition with card stock made from old Baltimore Orioles jerseys and ink made from Sunkist soda straight from memorial Stadium! ha!

      Delete
  3. I'm not happy with this IN ACTION card. In my opinion, Brooks Robinson should be depicted in the white Orioles jersey that was worn during the 1971 season. I cannot recall seeing any player from the O's in the 1972 Topps set wearing the orange jersey. Can you tell me when this jersey made its appearance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orange jersey did indeed make its appearance in 1971, though I believe the white pant\orange top combo was a year later. So I did make an error with that one. I'll have to remake the card with an all orange uniform of '71....

      Delete
  4. The photo used for the Brooks card is a later picture, likely 1976, but the card looks very cool to me. I don't understand why there was no Brooksie in action!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.