Thursday, February 12, 2015

JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT- 1970'S BASEBALL TRIVIA PART #87: ONE MORE ON BASEBALL CARDS




Here's another trivia set based on baseball cards from the 1970's.
See how many you can get.
I'll post the answers tomorrow.

  1. What pitcher had baseball cards as an all-star for both the A.L. and N.L. during the 1970's?
  2. Who were the two "other guys" on the Alan Trammell and Paul Molitor rookie card from 1978?
  3. What's "off" about the 1977 Topps Darrell Evans card?
  4. What player was incorrectly depicted as Joe Rudi on Rudi's 1973 Topps card?
  5. What player is sliding into Carlton Fisk on his action-packed 1977 Topps card?

***SPOILER ALERT! ANSWERS BELOW:

1. Vida Blue: A's in 1976 and Ginats 1979.

2. Mickey Klutts and U.L. Washington.

3. For some reason his name is in purple, unlike the rest of his team, or any other card in 1977 for that matter.

4. Gene Tenace, being greeted by teammates at the plate.

5. It is Yankees second baseman Willie Randolph.

10 comments:

  1. 1. Nolan Ryan
    2. ?
    3. I couldn't remember the card so I looked it up and immediately noticed the "inconsistency" with it.
    4. Gene Tenace and 2 other A's if I remember correctly
    5. Micky Rivers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stabbing at these:

    1) Dave Winfield
    2) Mickey Klutz and....and.... I can't remember although I can picture the card in my head.
    3) I have no idea on this, and I can't remember the card so I'll guess "airbrushed into wrong team". Naaaa that can't be right.
    4) Gene Tenace...this is the only answer I'm 99.9% sure of.
    5) I thought it was Willie Randolph but RAJ's answer of Mickey Rivers has me thinking he might be right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 UL Washington. I just picked up a second copy of this card two weeks ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK guys, so far #'s 2 and 4 were nailed, and Bob did get #5 (Randolph it is!)
    Hey RAJ, wanna tell everyone here what that "inconsistency" was on the Evans 1977 card?
    #1 is still up for grabs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. VIDA BLUE IT IS!! He was an all-star in the 1976 set as an A's player and in the 1979 set as a Giant.

      Delete
  6. DUH....#1 says 'pitcher'.... reading is fundamental. But I still don't know the answer but Vida Blue is a good guess. Since he's been mentioned I'll try "Who is Mike Marshall? Alex".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That "inconsistency" on the Darrell Evans card is that his name is in purple while the rest of his Giants teammates had their names in baby blue. Honestly, I don't recall any other card with a purple name no matter what team it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As trivial as it may seem, it's been a mystery to me since 1977! Just like the 1978 Larry Hisle card with no seems on the "position" baseball.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if the purple this was a printing plate or proof mistake that got missed.

      Delete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.