Friday, December 27, 2013

RANDOM QUICKIE: DON DRYSDALE'S APPEARANCE IN THE 1970'S

A while back I created a "Career Capper" 1970-style card for the late Dodger pitching great Don Drysdale, wishing Topps would have had a card for him post-retirement in that year's set.
Well it turns out Drysdale did indeed make an appearance in the 1970's,  on the Dodgers team card from 1970, #411.

The "Big D" on the right, #53.
 
That's the "Big D" on the extreme right side, middle row glaring at the photographer.
A nice little surprise I never knew about, and has me now scanning team cards from the decade looking for players I never realized were included in team shots, whether they be already-retired players or guys that switched teams over the off-season (like the Reggie Jackson appearance on the 1977 Orioles team card I profiled earlier on this blog).
I'll be posting more of these little gems in the future, so if you're into this type of stuff keep an eye out for them.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.