Monday, December 30, 2019

TRULY "NOT REALLY" MISSING IN ACTION- 1979 GERRY PIRTLE

OK, so every once in a while I think I did my research for a “not really” missing card, but fall flat on my face, as is the case today with a card I created not realizing the player was on a multi-player rookie card that year.
The player is former Montreal Expos pitcher Gerry Pirtle, and the year is 1979. So nevertheless, here you go:


Pirtle, who was given the name “Jerry” on his 1979 multi-player card appearance by Topps, was given “Gerry” by me here on this dedicated rookie, since it’s the only way I’ve seen his name on other references.
The one-year MLB pitcher appeared in 19 games for Montreal during the 1978 season, going 0-2 with an earned run average of 5.96 over 25.2 innings of work, with 14 strikeouts and 23 walks allowed.
He was 30 years of age when he made his Big League debut, and sadly for him that was all there would be, as he’d spend the next season in the Baltimore Orioles Minor League system before calling it a career.
Originally in the New York Yankees organization between 1967 and 1975, he spent 13 years in the Minors, with only those 19 games in the Summer of 1978 to show for it. But hey, he got to live that dream!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.