Wednesday, September 7, 2016

ALL-TIME CLASSIC CARD- 1976 PETE ROSE

Seriously, what is there left to say about one of THE cards of the 1970’s, the 1976 Pete Rose card?! Just take a look at this beauty and soak in all it’s greatness:


The man was at his peak in the mid-70’s, collecting hit after hit, along with a couple of championships, an MVP Award, all-star nods, and a menacing “winner-take-all” stare that Topps caught brilliantly here!
I remember seeing this card back in 1976 for the first time, opening a fresh pack at my cousin’s house up in Yonkers, and just FELT the awesomeness of this guy!
The card itself is perfect! The colors, the big beautiful “all-star” designation, and Rose staring right at you as if to be saying “Remember Ray Fosse?” with his era-perfect sideburns. Perfect!
Always one of my all-time favorite cards, up there with the 1976 Bench, 1978 Reggie and 1977 Rusty Staub.

6 comments:

  1. I begged my mom and dad to buy me a pair of those flip down sunglasses after seeing that card. I was only around 9 at the time and I still have that pair of glasses. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "All-Star" designation adds SO much to a card of this stature. Could you imagine the same card with the little 3rd baseman dude in the corner (just like Ken Boswell or Ted Kubiak) instead of that beautiful star. What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card - great job! Don't forget the '77 Kingman as an all-time great card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to the other Great Stars of the 1970's Baseball World, But Pete Rose was Baseball in the 1970's. Nef Sed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I've always loved this card. And I wanted those sunglasses, too.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.