Sunday, July 10, 2016

ONE OF THE GREATEST CARDS OF THE DECADE; 1971 KEN MCMULLEN

Recently when I asked everyone what their favorite card of the decade was, there were lots of surprises, and even MORE expected choices.
And ONE mention in particular made me happy since it seems to be forgotten, yet is so freaking cool it deserves a post to it’s awesomeness: the 1971 Ken McMullen card:


Man what a perfect in-game photo, and to top it off it shows old Yankee Stadium AND the flag pole and monuments in the outfield!! To my knowledge I don’t know of any other cards that show that! (anyone know of others?).
Fantastic card from a fantastic set!
So many great action cards from this set, yet I can’t figure out why Topps botched action cards the following couple years so much (especially their "In Action sub-set of 1972!).

8 comments:

  1. That *is* a fantastic card. I really need to get that one in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if anyone ever crashed into the flagpole or monuments there at old Yankee Stadium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy Piersall caught a ball behind them once. I think that he was the only player ever to do that.

      Delete
  3. Love the 1971 Topps Cards.....Two Words: Friggin COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably my favorite of the decade - I do not recall any others that show the monuments like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gio...you're right...how could topps butcher the 1972 In-Action set when they had so many great action cards in the 1971 set. This reeks of "new guy got assigned the action cards this year" and blew it. Cards like this one, Nolan Ryan, Chris Short (w/ Pete Rose on second), Thurman Munson and several others make the 71 set one of my top two or three favorite of the 70's and all time.

    Also, I remember having this card and thinking it was funny that KM appears to be laughing in the photo. I never paid any attention to the details in the background. Especially the monuments and flag pole. I'd love to see the original.

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shortly after reading the favorite cards comments, I looked up this card, went to an auction site, and bought it. Tremendous background shot of original Yankee Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite action shots...There were many great ones in that set, even for players like Rich Severson and Casey Cox

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.