Monday, January 27, 2014

UGH...THOSE 1972 TOPPS "AWARDS" CARDS...(#621 THROUGH #626): TODAY, CARD #626 "BABE RUTH AWARD"

Today we check in on the last card of this thread where I redesigned the 1972 "Awards" sub-set, showing the actual player(s) rather than the award itself.
The final card in the sub-set was for the "Babe Ruth Award" (card #626), which was actually won by legend Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Now tell me you wouldn't have rather had another Clemente card in the awesome 1972 set rather than some image of a lame plaque set on a blue background?!
Take a look at what was issued by Topps, and what I imagined for the card:

As issued by Topps...

My design for the card.

It's a shame, it really would have been nice to have this Clemente card to collect.
The sub-set was actually a pretty good idea in my eyes, but I do wonder what made Topps think it made more sense to go with the plaques and trophies over the recipients.
Anyone out there ever hear a reason as to why? If so I'd love to hear it!
I chose an image of Clemente that seemed perfect for what the card was depicting.
Hope you all agree.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.