Sunday, July 30, 2017

1975 "IN ACTION"- THURMAN MUNSON

The next player showcased in my 1975 “In Action” thread is none other than Yankee catching legend Thurman Munson, who was right in the middle of a brilliant career run in 1975:


The 1975 season would produce the first of three consecutive 100-RBI seasons for Munson while also batting above .300, while also bringing him his third straight Gold Glove Award.
The all-star catcher would go on to nab the American League Most Valuable Player Award the following year, while moving on to two straight World Series championships in 1977 and 1978.
Sadly, as we are all too aware, tragedy would strike in August of 1979 when Munson was killed while piloting his private plane on an off-day in Ohio, breaking the hearts of many a baseball fan in New York City, including yours truly.
Still only 32 years of age, we can only wonder where Munson’s career could have taken him had he lived to play well into the 1980’s.
Perhaps Cooperstown?
“The Captain”, R.I.P.

5 comments:

  1. Love it. I stand by my statement a couple of days ago, Thurman should be in the Hall. For the stat-heads out there, Koufax in one more year only put up 3.1 more WAR. And there is no measurement for the leadership that Munson brought to the Yankees of that decade. I don't believe they win those World Series without his presence in the clubhouse and on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great period specific shot from Shea Stadium, appears to be versus Indians. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a Yankees fan (far from it being an orphaned Senators fan), but when I heard news of Munson's death I was shocked. I think it was the first time I had remembered hearing of the death of a current ball player. I was around in the early 70s when Clemente died but I was still a bit young to hear or care about any "news".

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.