Sunday, August 23, 2015

ONE OF THOSE GEMS FROM MY YOUTH: 1976 WILLIE HORTON

This is one of those cards that has stuck with me for almost 40-years as a piece of cardboard art: the 1976 Topps Willie Horton card.
Take a look…


Man, what's NOT to like here?!
The colors all meshing well with the photo, the cool-as-hell bad-ass Horton looking like a lumberjack at the place.
Horton just looks like a beast up there!
Ever since I pulled one of those out of a pack it was one of my favorites from that set.
Just awesome.
It's funny how, being in the design business myself and frequently using high-resolution photographs, I always appreciate and cherish those "low-fi" photos Topps used back then that just seemed to make the card that much more "mythic"!
I don't know if a crisp, clean image would have made this any better. In fact it probably wouldn't look as cool to me!
Go figure…

7 comments:

  1. The '76s had a bunch of photos like this - I recently purchased a complete set to upgrade the rather dog-eared one that's been sitting on my shelf for 30 years or so. My personal favorites like the Horton card are Brock, Concepcion, Bando, Parker, Manning, Fosse and #1 - Aaron RB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fosse's card is cool. How about the Johnny Bench from that year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 76 Bench is my Mona Lisa!!!! All time favorite card by a country mile....check out my second post ever on this blog.....

      Delete
  3. I find that current cards' photographs are too crisp. I like the low-def, barely-in-focus pictures like the cards mentioned above. I don't need to see an Albert Pujols pimple "in action".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those crowd images, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved that card when I was a kid as well, and still do today.

    Because it's my affliction, I looked at the photo and started thinking of ways to replicate the low-res nature of that..Always thinking of ways to make cards look old... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. #10-Lou Brock, my all-time favorite card! Jerry Reuss and Al Oliver's cards are great as well.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.