Thursday, June 11, 2015

JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT- 1970'S BASEBALL TRIVIA PART #100 (A REVISIT OF #18)




Let's go and revisit my trivia set (#18) from back in 2013. See how many you can get and I'll post the answers tomorrow.

1. Five pitchers in the decade won 20+ games in a season in both the A.L. And the N.L. Who were they?

2. This player drove in 100+ R.B.I.'s three years in a row without hitting 20+ home runs in any of those seasons. Who was he?

3. Only two players hit 40+ home runs in a season during the 1970's while also collecting 200+ hits. Who were they?

4. Besides Bobby Bonds, who else had a 30 homer/ 30 stolen base season in the decade?

5. This pitcher started an incredible 49 games in 1972, tying for second place all-time since 1900. Who was it?

***SPOILER ALERT! ANSWERS BELOW: 

1. Tommy John (Yankees and Dodgers); Andy Messersmith (Angels and Dodgers); Gaylord Perry (Indians and Padres); Fergie Jenkins (Rangers and Cubs); and Jerry Koosman (Twins and Mets).

2. Thurman Munson, New York Yankees: 1975-1977.
 
3. Billy Williams, Chicago Cubs: 1970 and Jim Rice, Boston Red Sox: 1978.
 
4. Tommy Harper, Milwaukee Brewers: 1970.

5. Wilbur Wood, Chicago White Sox.

3 comments:

  1. 1) I got 3 out of 5, one of my incorrect guesses had 20 wins in 1969 (NL) and 1973 (AL). So pretty good for me.

    2) This one I definitely knew, because he was my favorite player and I always liked it when someone would drive in 100 run with less than 20 HR (presumably because of his feat).

    3) I got one of the two. My other guess was Yaz in 1970, but I forgot he walked so much (40HR/186H/128BB).

    4) I don't know what possessed me, but I got this one correct! I must have heard it at some point in the past and it just came to me.

    5) I knew this one also (good week for me). This guy won 20 and lost 20 the very next season when he made 48 starts. He also led the league in games as a reliever 3 times and games as a starter 4 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the picture from? Looks like a fight. Love the early Rangers unis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it from Dime Beer Night in Cleveland?

    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20130604-flashback-the-night-cheap-beer-earned-the-rangers-a-victory-in-cleveland.ece

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.