Saturday, June 20, 2015

ANOTHER AIRBRUSH CLASSIC: 1973 BOBBY FENWICK...

Yeah there are many worse airbrush jobs by Topps out there, but for some reason I love the effort put in on the 1973 Bobby Fenwick card:


Big and bold….
The inexplicable shadowing around the "St.L" is priceless!
Also, Fenwick does fall into the "why?" category when it comes to Topps issuing him a card for their 1973 set.
As a rookie in 1972 for the Houston Astros, Fenwick appeared in 36 games, good for 50 at-bats.
He hit .180 with his nine hits, with three doubles and four runs batted in.
Was it really worth all the effort to get that airbrushing done for a guy who barely played the year before?
To top it all off, in 1973 he played a total of five games for St. Louis, getting a hit in six at-bats before leaving the game for good.
I LOVE stuff like this! Looking back and spotlighting cards like this is one of the main reasons this blog was created.
Hope you like it as well…

***Thanks to Mark, here's the full photo from the Topps Vault. You can really see the airbrush job in finer detail here...amazing. Thanks Mark!

 

5 comments:

  1. Love the Fenwick card - I wish I could include an attachment here - I have that Fenwick image from the Topps Vault which shows it in a rougher state (as if that were possible!)...Is there any way I can get it to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yes!! Email to me at: john@slogun.com
      May I post it here for all to see?! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  2. Would like to see that Fenwick image!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely cool. Nice teamwork Gio and Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I'd love to see the original photo without the airbrush job.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.