Monday, May 19, 2014

"GIMME A DO-OVER"- PART XXXIII: 1971 #525 ERNIE BANKS

I have never been a fan of the photo Topps used for Ernie Banks on his 1971 card (#525).
What makes it all the more "important" for me is that it just so happens that this is the last card of Banks' career, and it could have been handled so much better.
Take a look at what Topps had out there in 1971:


What an odd pose for the camera. 
They went to the trouble of having him stand for a photo to be used, yet it looks like they caught him off-guard as he was looking elsewhere about to say something to someone.
Ugh…
I know I must sound petty here, but come on!
What would it have taken to use a better shot of the future Hall of Famer and "Mr. Cub"!?
So I went ahead and used a nicer shot of the most popular Cubs player of all-time and present to you my version:


Nothing colossal or anything.
Just a nice card of Banks during his last year as a Major League player before he retired, on his way to Hall of Fame induction in 1977.
One of my all-time favorite players…

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.