Monday, May 5, 2014

"GIMME A DO-OVER"- PART XXXII: 1972 #285 GAYLORD PERRY

When I went to write up this post for today's topic I realized that somehow I've only profiled Gaylord Perry once (??) in the entire run of my blog, and the guy is one of my favorite "characters" from the decade.
I'll have to double-check that, maybe I missed labeling a post at some point.
But for now let's move ahead with the subject of today: redesigning Perry's 1972 Topps card.
Take a look at what Topps had out there for his 1972 card:


Not necessarily a bad card, but definitely in need of a redesign since not only does it show Perry in his San Francisco Giants uniform (he was traded to Cleveland around Thanksgiving of 1971), but 1972 ended up being a banner season for the Hall of Fame pitcher.
First up I offer you my 1972 redesign:


Just a nice action shot of Perry on the hill for the Indians during his award-winning year. A bit nicer than the "yearbook"-type pose on the issued card, don't you think?
In his first season pitching for the Indians, all Perry did was post a 24-16 record with a 1.92 earned run average, 234 strikeouts and 5 shutouts.
Those numbers got him his first Cy Young Award, as well as a sixth place finish in M.V.P. voting, all while playing for a team that went 72-84, good for fifth place in the American League East.
Not bad at all.
In somewhat of a coincidence, his National League counterpart in Cy Young winner that year, Steve Carlton, also pitched for a sub-.500 team (actually a last place team in Carlton's case).
Go figure.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.