Wednesday, April 23, 2014

ONCE AGAIN, I KNOW I'M DREAMIN' HERE...1979 TOPPS RICKEY HENDERSON

Just as I was dreaming when I designed a 1978 multi-player rookie card featuring Ozzie Smith, Paul Molitor, Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker, I know I'm stretching it when I designed a 1979 Topps card for Rickey Henderson, who was still a half a season away from any Major League action when the card would have come out.
But take a look at my card design anyway…


But considering what Henderson was doing in the Oakland minor league system those day, it was only a matter of time before he was promoted and tearing up the base-paths in the Major Leagues.
Henderson was on fire in 1977 and 1978 playing for Modesto and Jersey City.
In '77 with Modesto, all he did was hit .345 with 120 runs scored and 95 stolen bases to go along with a sick .465 on-base-percentage.
The following year, getting promoted to Double-A ball, Henderson kept on hitting, this time to the tune of .310 with 81 runs scored and 81 steals.
I guess the thing to realistically do was design an Oakland A's prospects card with Henderson as one of the three players depicted in BLAZING black and white. (ugh)
However, any of you who have been following this blog know just how much I hate those cards! 
So here you go, a card that would have made that '79 set so much better.

6 comments:

  1. Giovanni,

    Is there any way I can get a copy of the 1979 Mike Marshall Twins card you designed for your blog, earlier? If you have printed it in a card form, may I purchase one from your or, if not, may I use your design to get a card printed? I would love this card for my Twins collection which is lacking a Mike Marshall card! Please let me know what I need to do to get one! Thanks! sinocc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!
      I replied to your other message on the Marshall post.
      I never printed that card, or any other of my "creations", so if you want to go ahead and use that file please feel free!
      If you take the file and bump it up to 300 dpi, it will be the size of a "mini" (like with the 1975 mini's).
      Once I post the card on my blog I delete the original file with the working file.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Hello, that's a beautiful card of rickey henderson, he is my favorite all time player, is there any way you can show or tell me how you did it, thank you, tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey tom!
      i just found a time-right photo and photoshopped it to the correct size and made the color match the 1979 "look" to the other photos (so i messed with the contrast, brightness and saturation).
      then I just got another A's card from 1979 and photoshopped out the players info(airbrushed away name), then I take the "blank" 1979 card and the rickey photo and bring them into illustrator, where I type in the new info (rickey's name/etc) and m"mask in" the photo to the card template.
      I generally make my cards at 7.5" tall at 72 DPI for the web. this way if i wanted to actually print any of them it's still high-res enough to do so.
      hope this helps! sorry if i got a bit technical, as I do this stuff for a living so i can get a bit geeky with the software stuff...
      take care
      gio

      Delete
  3. Hello again, thank you for the info, the 1979 set is my favorite set, that was the first set i ever collected, i'm trying to make my own 79 set, i'm trying to figure out how to make a easy template for the 1979 set, thank you again, tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, i was wondering if you do the backs of the cards too, also do you print them out?

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.