Tuesday, April 1, 2014

MISSING IN ACTION- 1971 TONY HORTON

Yesterday I presented my design for the "missing" 1970 Topps card for Indians player Tony Horton, explaining that he never had an "official" Topps card in his seven-year career.
Today I present what would have been his last card after his sudden and sad retirement from the game during the 1970 season.
Take a look:


I still don't know why Topps never produced a card for the young slugger, but it makes the Tony Horton story that much more mysterious and begs a few more answers to some tough questions.
For the 1970 season, Horton was hitting .269 with 17 homers and 59 runs batted in by August, certainly good numbers for that era.
But as I stated yesterday, Horton was battling serious issues and walked away from the game, literally, during a doubleheader, leading to a suicide attempt that very night.
Luckily for him, he sought treatment and was helped with his problems.
However he never did return to professional ball, and went on to live a private life, refusing to talk to media post-retirement.
If anyone knows why Topps never had Horton under contract I'd love to hear it. Was it Horton's decision? Was it Topps?

13 comments:

  1. I was at the Yankees-Tribe DH on June 24, 1970(my 13th bday) when Bobby Murcer hit 4 consecutive homers. It was also memorable for a home plate fight between Stan Bahnsen & Vada Pinson.....Ray Fosse getting hit in the ankle w/a cherry bomb and Tony Horton strking out on a Folly Floater and crawkling back to the dugout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you were really at that game?
      Awesome! I didn't realize that Horton-Hamilton game was part of the Murcer four home run double-header!

      Delete
    2. Yes....it was the 1st game my parents let me go w/a fried, who was 15. We took the D train from E. 16th & Kings Hgwy in Brooklyn. I believe Murcer hit the HR in the 1st game off Sudden Sam....Curt Blefary hit one off him as well. Lastly, Horton hit a triple to center and Murcer went BETWEEN, not around, the monuments to egt the ball.

      Delete
    3. So you're from Brooklyn? I'm a Bensonhurst guy. Grew up by Bay Ridge Parkway and 20th Avenue. Actually just moved away two years ago after 44 years. Funny, I moved to Somerset, NJ and about 1 out of every three people I meet out here is from Brooklyn. We're everywhere! ;)

      Delete
    4. Grew up 2 bkocks down from Kings PlazaWent to Nazareth HSGraduated from St. John's, in '79/ Moved to Somerset in '86.....lived on Rolling Rd......moved to Hillsborough in 2000............Miss Spumoni Gardens big time.

      Delete
    5. Funny, just checked where Rolling Road is (still new to me), and the first house we bid on (and lost) was on Amwell, right next to that church off of Dahmer, right by Rolling Rd. Hilarious...

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFvp7kMraAw

    The guy who posted this has it as July 24th.....but the Yanks were in Oakland that day.............I must apologize........It was a foulout to
    Munson not a strikeout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Tony Horton cards........I was gonna make a 1970 myself but yours would be way better.........What font & style do you use for the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's a tough one. What I've been doing with 1970 cards is literally dissect letters from other players' names and rearrange them to spell out the player I'm profiling. I have thousands of fonts (I'm an Art Director/Graphic Designer by trade) but don't have the one Topps used for the 1970 player names. Nothing close enough anyway.
      With Horton it was super easy because I took the "Tony" from one player ( I think Perez), then took the "Horton" from Willie Horton's card.

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm.....Never thought of that......I'd like to send you my 1977 Oriole version of Reggie......how do I do it?........BTW...I live in Hillsborough, NJ

      Delete
    3. I use the cards in Strat-O-Matic.

      Delete
    4. You can email me anything at: john@slogun.com
      I love seeing other people's card creations!

      Delete
  4. Hey....we'll go to L&B together................last time my wife & I went there we met Steve Schiarippa(Bobby Baccala on Sopranos. I've been going there for 52 years....since I was 5........I work in Somerset off Pierce........we rep home theater products.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.