Monday, December 23, 2013

ONE OF MY FAVORITES: 1979 LARRY BOWA (#210)

Here's another card I always liked, the 1979 Topps Larry Bowa card (#210):

A rainbow of purples!

I just loved the way the colors of his uniform, the Phillies banner along the bottom of the card, and the "All-Star" banner all went well together, making for a nice overall look with a decent action shot of Bowa following through in an at-bat.
Now if only that "Topps" logo and baseball was NOT an element of the 1979 design, I think we would have had a much nicer set design…
I don't know why, but it was always easy for me to forget that Bowa had three All-Star cards in his career: 1975, 1979 and 1980, book-ending Dave Concepcion's three-year run as N.L. All-Star at the position.
He kind of always fell under the radar with me when it came to the "All-Stars" of my youth, especially with Concepcion hogging up the shortstop spotlight in the latter half of the '70's.
Another thing I find funny is that I always considered the 1979 an "ugly" set, yet I now have profiled quite a few cards from '79 that are some of my favorites (Carew, Brett, Palmer, Bowa).
Guess I had it all wrong (just like my feelings on the '73 set as this blog goes on)…
Go figure...

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.