Sunday, December 29, 2013

A CARD THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN- 1977 EDDIE MURRAY

Now, even though Eddie Murray's 1978 rookie card is one of my favorite cards to this day, I always felt that since the guy was the 1977 American League rookie of the year, it would have been nice to have a card for him for that season.
This doesn't really fit into either a "dedicated rookie card" or a "missing" card, but I still wanted to design one for the future Hall of Famer since he was one of my favorite players growing up.
Take a look at my imagined 1977 card for the great switch-hitter:

Next to Mantle, the greatest switch-hitter in the game?

Odds are Murray probably would have been included on one of those awful multi-player rookie cards like Andre Dawson or Dale Murphy, but since we know how much I am NOT a fan of those cards, I went with a dedicated card for him here.
I won't get into Murray too much here, since I covered that when I profiled his rookie card, but wow, what an understated superstar he was.
While the Schmidts, Ripkens, Murphy's, etc were racking up awards and acknowledgment, all Murray did was quietly rack up 3000+ hits, 500+ home runs, 1900+ runs batted in and more.
The man was awesome, simply put.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.