Saturday, June 4, 2022

REVISITING AN OLD BLOG POST FROM AUGUST 4TH, 2014: THEN AND NOW #8: HARMON KILLEBREW 1975

Up on the blog today, how about we revisit one of my favorite "early" blog posts, this one from August of 2014 celebrating the great Harmon Killebrew with my 1975 "Then and Now" card:

 
I have been a super-fan of the man since the age of 10 in 1979, when I first saw this "stranger's" stats on the back of a 1973 card, and I couldn't believe my eyes!
Here's the original blog post write-up from way back:

"What does anyone need to be reminded of regarding Killebrew?
He was an absolute BEAST at the plate, crushing 573 lifetime homers, MOST of them during the pitching-era of the 1960's into the '70's.
Eight 40+ home run seasons, nine 100+ runs batted in seasons, seven 100+ base-on-balls seasons, an M.V.P. in 1969 (with five top-5 finishes in M.V.P. voting as well), and a Hall of Fame induction in 1984.
I remember as a ten-year old in 1979 scoring a 1973 Killebrew card from my cousin, and I was absolutely dumbfounded by the statistics on the back!
I never heard of this guy, yet I was looking at numbers that made my jaw drop.
I just couldn't understand why his name wasn't plastered everywhere. Ha!"

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.