Saturday, June 18, 2022

CUSTOM SPOTLIGHT: 1980 THURMAN MUNSON

On the blog today, a spotlight on a custom card I quite possibly wanted to create since I was a kid, a 1980 card for the great Thurman Munson, from my "Whole Nine" set released last year:



 
As an eleven year old ripping open packs back then, I genuinely thought there would be a card for the Yankee captain in my youthful ignorance.
As a matter of fact my friends and I were shocked when we realized there was no Munson card of any kind in the 1980 set.
Such a great career cut short by tragedy, though as I recall, Munson was seriously considering retirement by the end of the decade because of nagging injuries and missing his family because of the grind of a full-season.
Nevertheless, a Rookie of the Year in 1970, an MVP in 1976, and two straight championships in 1977 and 1978. A wonderful career for the New York Yankees legend.
Munson, who came out of Kent State in his native Ohio, became an instant Yankee favorite in 1970 while becoming the leader of the organization in transition on the field.
By 1976 he was a legitimate star, winning the American League Most Valuable Player Award while leading the Yanks to their first World Series since 1964, followed by consecutive championships in 1977 and 1978.
Of course, this was all shattered when he died while piloting a small plane in August of 1979, shocking everyone, including myself as a 10-year old Yankee fan who idolized the catcher on a team filled with big personalities, like Reggie Jackson, Rich Gossage and Sparky Lyle.
Such a loss.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.