Saturday, October 1, 2022

1978 ALL-STAR GAME 1979 HIGHLIGHT CARD

Up on the blog today, we go and celebrate the 1978 Major League All-Star game with a 1979 highlight card, something I always wished Topps did as a kid since the Midsummer Classic was a downright HOLIDAY for me back then:
 
 
The game, held at San Diego Stadium on July 11th, saw the A.L. jump out to a quick 3-0 lead going into the bottom of the third inning, something they always seemed to do back then, before the N.L. answered back with three runs of their own.
It would remain 3-3 heading into the bottom of the eighth before the game’s eventual MVP, Los Angeles Dodgers star Steve Garvey, led off the inning with a triple of the New York Yankees’ Goose Gossage, setting up an inning that saw the A.L. fall apart, eventually giving up four runs before the dust settled, resulting in yet another N.L. win, 7-3.
Gossage was credited with the loss while Chicago Cubs reliever Bruce Sutter got the win, and Steve Garvey taking home his second All-Star game MVP, first taking home the award in 1974.
It was the seventh straight win for the National league in the All-Star game, and it was KILLING me as I was still waiting for my American League to win a game since I started watching the sport a few years earlier.
Little did I know I’d still have to wait until 1983 to see a win, thanks to Fred Lynn and his grand slam, which had me almost take down the chandelier hanging in my parent’s living room at that time.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.