Monday, June 3, 2019

NOT REALLY MISSING IN ACTION- 1972 FRANK JOHNSON

Up on the blog today we have a “not so missing” 1972 card for former San Francisco Giants infielder/outfielder Frank Johnson, who played the last games of his Big League career in 1971:


Johnson appeared in 32 games for San Francisco in 1971, collecting only four hits over 49 at-bats for a dismal .082 batting average.
He would go on to play another three seasons in the Minor Leagues for the organization, but never get the call back up, leaving him with a career .211 average over 196 games in parts of six seasons, all with the Giants.
He had 92 career hits, with 47 runs scored and 43 runs batted in along with 10 extra base hits.
For me, I will always remember Johnson as the very first 1969 card I ever got as an 11-year-old “collector” in 1980 when I started to try and get at least one card for each Topps set.
I was lucky to find the Johnson card at an antique store in the ‘hood, along with 1970 cards of Jack Aker and Hank Allen, sending me home like I just hit the lottery! If I remember correctly the cards were a quarter each.
The good ole days!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.