Sunday, February 16, 2014

RANDOM QUICKIE: "THE SAY HEY KID" WILLIE MAYS ON THE 1974 METS TEAM CARD

I'm loving going over team cards of the 1970's to find superstars that never made it with a "regular" card that year because of retirement or whatever else.
Today we look at the 1974 New York Mets team card (#56) and a nice little appearance of none other than all-time great, Willie Mays, the "Say Hey Kid"!
 
One more card appearance for Willie Mays.
 
There he is, seated in the second row, second from left.
Nice little "extra" to have on a card wouldn't you say?
I know he also appeared on a "World Series" card (#473), so this would be just a little icing on the cake in a sense.
Again, I never realized these retired superstars (Aaron, Drysdale, Mays, etc) appeared on these team cards the following year. 
I'm still going through them all to see who happens to pop up in them.
I'm almost positive Bob Gibson is on the 1976 Cardinals team card, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to take a closer look or two before I post that one up!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.