Thursday, October 17, 2013

DEDICATED "ROOKIE CARDS" #3: 1973 MIKE SCHMIDT

Today I want to post up a card design for a rookie card I WISH existed instead of his multiple player version that Topps issued: Mike Schmidt and his 1973 introduction to the world of sports cards.
First off, let's look at his rookie card as we all know it:

Not a "horrible" card by any means...

Now, I'll admit it's not the worst rookie card out there, especially with Ron Cey carrying some weight as well.
But really, what could be better than a dedicated rookie of the greatest third baseman the game has ever seen?
I found a nice image of Schmidt during his rookie year and used it for my imaginary "rookie" shown below. Hope you all like it...

...but THIS card would have been a classic "rookie" for Schmidt.

Not much to be said about Mike Schmidt that hasn't been said a million times before!
Growing up in the late-70's/early-80's, quite simply, he was THE third baseman in Major League baseball.
Three M.V.P.'s, 10 Gold Gloves, 12 All-Star games, and oh yeah...he hit 548 career homers and lead the National League EIGHT TIMES during his awesome eighteen-year career.
A no-brainer Hall of Famer whom was inducted on his first try in 1995. A "duh" if there ever was one.
"Schmitty" was the man!

7 comments:

  1. Gio, I am in the process of de-cluttering by back room of my basement and am going through my baseball cards and sports memorabilia. I found a case with a small set that I don't remember buying. It is the 2006 Topps Rookie of the Week set. If you haven't seen it, the set has alternate rookie cards for many big stars going back to Mickey Mantle in the early 50's. Neat idea...poorly executed
    This link outlines the recent Schmidt rookie cards and I definitely like yours better. Next time Topps should call us. Heck, I'll do it for free.
    http://thephilliesroom.blogspot.com/2011/07/mike-schmidt-rookie-card.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Good Lord! What a bad job Topps did with that! Funny thing is, I applied for a job with Topps TWICE in the past year as an Art Director (for their candy lines), and nothing! I've been doing this for 20 years and have designed school products for every kids' brand you can think of. Yet I "get no respect" from Topps! Ha!
      I figure with you consulting with me we can't be stopped! Am I right?!

      Delete
    3. Put me in coach lol.
      Yeah those cards are awful. Check out the entire set sometime if you haven't seen them before. A late 50's Brooks Robimson card with a mid-70's photo. Creative memories is even embarrassed.

      Delete
  2. What do they still make? And is it still in Dureya PA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topps is missing out on a lot of creativity. Unfortunately it is their loss. If you ever do get on board there, we've got your back Gio. Then work your way over to the baseball card side and we can handle all of the re-releases of the old stuff. We'll sell millions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my wish - dedicated rookie cards for every player who had to share his rookie card

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.