Friday, June 19, 2015

MISSING IN ACTION-"IN ACTION" #40: 1972 MEL STOTTLEMYRE

A few days ago I posted the "missing" 1970 all-star card for former Yankee pitcher Mel Stottlemyre.
I also went into detail on what kind of a special career he had, and how easy it is to forget it since it was relatively short, and the bulk of which was during the lean years in the Bronx between 1965-1973.
For more on his career just backtrack a bit here to that post, worth the read if you haven't read it already.
Today I post up a "missing in-action" card for him for the 1972 set, take a look at what I came up with:


Nice horizontal layout for the former star and future pitching-coach master.
I always likened Stottlemyre's personality/character to another of my under-appreciated favorites, Jim Kaat.
They were both guys who went about their business without any "hoot and holler", and were respected by their peers.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.