Friday, August 20, 2021

1978 SPECIAL SUB-SET- "1977 30 HOME RUN CLUB" REGGIE JACKSON

Today on the blog we move on to "Mr. October", the great Reggie Jackson in my on-going "30 Home Run Club" sub-set for the 1978 set, celebrating the game's top sluggers of 1977:

 
Now, I am NOT even going to try and top what could be the greatest Topps card ever in Reggie's base 1978 card. Personally, my second all-time favorite card (behind the 1976 Johnny Bench).
But I tried to emulate it as much as I could without repeating it, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Reggie did NOT disappoint in his first season with the Yankees, hitting 32 homers while driving in 110 runs, along with a very nice .286 batting average and 93 runs scored.
Of course, it was the 1977 Postseason that really paid off for the Bronx, as he'd launch the Yankees to their first championship in 15 years by demolishing the Los Angeles Dodgers almost single-handedly, hitting .450 with five homers and eight runs batted in with 10 runs scored in six games!
The man certainly was already a star by then, but this was the defining moment where he became baseball royalty!
What an icon not only of the era, but of baseball's long and rich history!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.