Monday, January 29, 2024

WTHBALLS GUM PACK CUSTOM SET: TOM SEAVER

Good day all!

Today we'll start to spotlight cards from my recent custom set featuring mini-cards packaged like a pack of gum, a fun little set I created on a whim a few months back capturing the flair of the 1970's, the era I first got into the sport:
We begin with quite possibly my favorite pitcher of all-time, the great Tom Seaver, who was a force of nature in the mid-70's, when I first fell in love with baseball as a little kid in Brooklyn, New York, though admittedly a Yankee fan:
 




Just a fun idea to see come to fruition, imagining if there was a set of cards sold as packs of gum, complete with wrapper and foil, and luckily I found a great printer who could handle the job!
As for Seaver, what needs to be said about the greatest New York Met to ever suit up?
The man would end up with a 311-205 record along with 61 shutouts and 3640 strikeouts to go with a brilliant 2.86 ERA over 20-seasons and 656 appearances, 647 of which were starts.
He was in prime form in the mid-70’s, putting together nine straight 200 strikeouts seasons while getting tabbed to ten all-star teams in his first eleven seasons.
God I loved Tom Seaver when I was a kid. More than any other pitcher of that era I was in awe of this man. He just seemed like a "super-hero" to me.
Just look at all my other posts dedicated to the man here on this blog. He was other-worldly to me growing up in New York City as a kid in the 1970's.
Even if he WAS a Met, to this young Yankee fan he was unquestionably the best pitcher in the game at that time.
Rest in Peace "Tom Terrific"!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.