Sunday, October 12, 2014

MISSING IN ACTION- 1972 JOSE ORTIZ

I have to admit, here's a "missing" card of a guy I didn't know about: Jose Ortiz, formerly of both the Chicago White Sox and Cubs.
Check out my card design first:


I can't remember where I came across the guy, but I did notice he played in 36 games for the Cubs in 1971, good for 96 plate appearances and 88 at-bats.
So I figured I'd design a card for him in the 1972 set since he wasn't represented.
I found a decent image I could work with, but wish it was a better shot.
Nevertheless, here you go!
Those games in 1971 would be the last of Ortiz's career after playing in 31 games for the South-Side White Sox in 1969 and 1970.
An outfielder, Ortiz did manage to "retire" with a .301 batting average based on his 37 hits in 123 at-bats.
He also collected nine doubles, a triple and six runs batted in with 14 runs scored before he hung up the cleats.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.