Saturday, March 10, 2018

MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE CARD- AND THE IMAGE THAT WAS USED

Someone pointed me in the right direction recently regarding my all-time favorite baseball card, and the untouched image that was used to create it: the 1976 Topps Johnny Bench card. Take a look:


I’ve mentioned it enough how I love everything about this card, since the day I first saw it over 40 years ago.
The colors, the image used, that sweet all-star designation. For me it had it all.
Seeing the original image, though still incredible with it’s clarity, the fact that Topps gave the photo a yellow-tinge which made it blend with the overall 1976 Reds design made it that much more incredible.
One of the few times I like someone messing with an image.
Now, someone also told me not too long ago that the original image didn’t have the rising dust at home plate, which crushed me until I saw this image.
I’m assuming the image here is not messed with, and that the dust is in fact part of what was going on when the shot was taken.
Can anyone show me otherwise?
As for Bench himself, this was his time, already a legend and not even close to 30 yet. I mean, the man was already a rookie of the year AND two-time NL MVP by the time he was 24, and on his way in 1976 to being a two-time world champ by 27.
Just incredible, and the fact that I got to see him play, albeit the second half of his career, makes me grateful!
Legend.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.