Monday, July 31, 2017

MISSING IN ACTION- A "WHITE WHALE" WITH A 1978 DAVE PAGAN!

Huzzah!!
One more of my personal “white whales” scratched off the list! And I had the freaking image stashed away the whole time!
As I was looking for another image in my folders, I come across THIS beauty of a shot of Dave Pagan with the Pirates, his last stop in the Majors.
I have NO idea where I found this, nor when! But hey, I “ain’t” complainin’!
So here’s a 1978 “missing” Dave Pagan card:


Pagan would appear in one single game for the Pirates after starting the 1977 season with the Seattle Mariners, where he posted a 1-1 record with a bloated 6.14 earned run average in their inaugural season.
In that one game for Pittsburgh he threw three innings, giving up a hit while striking out four, which would turn out to be the last Major League action he’d see in his five-year career.
All told, he finished his big league action with a 4-9 record along with a 4.96 E.R.A. over 85 games, 18 of them starts, and 232.1 innings pitched.
Thanks to all who tried helping me find a suitable image of Pagan as a Pirate for this card! Appreciate the efforts!
Hope you enjoy getting this one out of the way as much as I do!

7 comments:

  1. I'm guessing this is a Spring Training shot from '78? Given that TOPPS gave airbrushed cards to Roric Harrison, Oscar Zamora, etc. in '78, it is surprising that they did not do the same with Pagan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's next on the "white whale" list?

      Delete
  2. Hey Gio.... Let me tell you that one of the first things I do in the morning is check your site. Fantastic card! Tony Conigliaro 1972 is my favorite but this is in my top 5, Thanks Gio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well. Thanks for the enjoyment. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Me too! 1973 Dwight Evans is my favorite. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

      Delete
  3. Any plans to create a White Whale label? So far, you've got the '76 Jim Perry and this card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, had never seen that photo before. How about a Pirates Will McEnaney or Clay Carroll?

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.