Sunday, September 18, 2016

A BIT OF A SIDEBAR HERE: TOPPS IN THE 1980'S

OK, I promise this is a one-off thing here, a post regarding Topps in the 1980’s. At least until I START a blog about Topps in the 1980’s.
But my recent post about “Favorite Cards of the 1970’s” got me to think about the iconic cards of the OTHER decade I collected as a kid, and to be honest I have been somewhat underwhelmed!
Now hear me out: I was an even bigger collector in the 1980’s than the 1970’s, and at one point PATHETICALLY addicted to cards to the point of being a “no-lifer” as some of my friends claimed, so the love of 1980’s cards is there, especially the 1983 set, far and away my favorite Topps set of the decade.
But after talking about all of those Iconic cards of the 1970’s, I asked myself: years from now, what Topps cards from the 1980’s will be considered “classics”?
For me, the cards that immediately jumped into my head that left somewhat of an impact are not exactly “classic”:
1980 Dave Parker
1980 Nolan Ryan
1981 Fred Lynn
1987 Bo Jackson
1982 In-Action Carlton Fisk
Again, these are the cards that immediately jumped into my head as I asked my self the above question. But I can’t really say if they hold up!
I always loved that 1980 Parker card. Just looked bad-ass. But is it classic? Hmmm.
The 1980 Ryan is great, and yeah, can be a classic.
The 1981 Fred Lynn? I think the only reason I love it is the colors and “all-star” banner go well together. But classic?
The 1987 Bo Jackson “Future Star” card. Yeah, classic all over it. Still holds up.
The 1982 Fisk In-Action? Great HORIZONTAL action shot, and you know I'm a fan of horizontal templates!
But is that it? I tell you, I’m straining here to remember any cards from Topps that stick out.
There are a lot of cards from the 1983 set that I love, that have beautiful photos and go well with their templates (Greg Luzinski, Reggie Jackson, Don Baylor come to mind), but really none that I can consider classic.
Just curious: what do you all think are “classic” cards from the 1980’s by Topps? 
Would love to hear what comes up!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.