Monday, July 21, 2014

THEN AND NOW #6: JIM BUNNING 1971

Here's a fun card to design, my 1971 Jim Bunning "Then and Now" edition, the sixth card in my "Super Veterans" series.
Take a look:


Anytime I get to design a unique card from the 1971 set is a treat. 
Working with the black base-design makes it that much more fun for me!
I've already gone on and on about Bunning: future Hall of Famer and Politician, so no need to get in-depth again in this post.
But I would love to mention one more time how this guy's career record is deceptive (224-184), as he posted multiple no-hitters, 100 wins and 1000 strikeouts in BOTH leagues before it became somewhat more frequent with the growth player movement from team to team, league to league.
Also, at the time of his retirement after the '71 season he was second all-time in Major League history with his 2855 strikeouts.
Pretty spectacular career.
Then he makes this all trivial by having somewhat of a spectacular political career for the state of Kentucy post-Major League baseball.
Talk about an over-achiever…

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.