Tuesday, July 2, 2013

WHEN AIRBRUSHING GOES TERRIBLY WRONG"- PART V

Here's a pretty wild airbrushing job from the 1971 Topps set: #679 Don O'Riley.
Is that a glowing blue-neon White Sox cap or what? Guess it had to be to cover the already light blue color of the Royal's cap!
I especially like the black outline attempt going on around the cap and logo. A laid back stab at shading I suppose.
I just can never get enough of these airbrush jobs! I really do miss them and the days before Photoshop. So much more "hands-on" and D.I.Y.
On a side note: O'Riley was already out of baseball when the 1971 season broke. After appearing in 27 games over two seasons for the Royals, including the inaugural campaign in 1969, he was traded to Chicago in October of 1970 but was released before the new season started, never to appear in the Majors again.
Sadly, while looking up his career, I found out that tragically, in 1997 while working at a convenience store in the Kansas City area, he was shot and killed in a robbery attempt. He was 52.


One of the "original" Kansas City Royals.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER...

@wthballs
Everything baseball: cards, events, history and more.